Sometimes a girl just needs chocolate. Now. Like, right now. Enter my new favorite chocolate cake, loosely inspired by my new favorite blog. Super moist, super chocolatey, super healthy. Oh, and there’s a mostly-healthy buttercream-esque peanut butter frosting to boot.
It’s always more difficult to make smart food choices on the weekends (lack of schedule), so I am all about any food that will help stave off a cupcake and potato chip binge.
Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter “Buttercream”
6 Tbsp flour
4 Tbsp plus 1 tsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp applesauce (or vegetable oil)
6 Tbsp milk (I use vanilla almond milk)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 C peanut butter (use any nut butter you like; I prefer PB2)
1/4 C confectioner’s sugar*
1/4 C water*
*amount will vary depending on the consistency/sweetness you prefer
- Sift together the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the liquid ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into small ramekins (this recipe should fill 2) or a mug. If you plan to remove the cakes from the baking dishes, be sure to spray them with non-stick cooking spray before filling.
- Microwave for 3-4 minutes, until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- While cakes cool, whip peanut butter and confectioner’s sugar, adding water as necessary until desire consistency and sweetness is achieved.
- Let cakes cool completely, then frost and eat up!