In college, my friends and I made it a point to get together once a week and have “family dinner” where we’d all cook dinner together and drink lots of wine. It was one of my favorite traditions and I looked forward to it each week. After college, I wanted to continue the tradition and incorporate some new peeps, as well as explore this sudden love of cooking that I discovered, so two of my current besties and I have been trying to get together as often as possible to, again, cook dinner and drink lots o’ wine!
The other night, my friend Emily came over. We caught up over a glass of pinot and then got to cooking. Emily had some locally raised chicken breasts that she won in a blog contest, so we roasted the chicken in the oven with a little chicken stock and some Mrs. Dash seasoning–so, so simple but unbelievably flavorful and moist!
We are both goat cheese fiends, and I’ve been wanting to try the Barefoot Contessa’s salad with warm goat cheese, so we did just that. Again, it’s a super simple recipe, which I, unfortunately didn’t get pictures of–too busy talking and drinking! So below you can check out the pictures I did manage to snag, and the recipe for spinach salad with roasted chicken and warm goat cheese. Yum!
After dinner, we walked over to one of my favorite stores that sells home decor, accessories, jewelry, purses, etc. Then we walked down the street to the new frozen yogurt shop. This place is dangerous! But I got my new standard–fat-free vanilla yogurt, topped with strawberries, blueberries, and just a few M&M’s. Just a few 🙂
We then walked back to my place and proceeded to gossip, eat our yogurt, and watch old eps of Sex and the City and John & Kate Plus 8. Yep, we sure did! I love hanging out with Emily–we talk about any and everything, drink wine, watch trashy tv and laugh our butts off. Love her!
Spinach Salad with Roasted Chicken, Warm Goat Cheese, and Greek Yogurt Vinaigrette
Inspired by the Barefoot Contessa
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning (or seasoning of choice)
1/3 C chicken stock
6 oz goat cheese (I like Trader Joe’s)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 egg substitute
1/2 C breadcrumbs (I use panko)
3-4 C baby spinach
For salad dressing:
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 C plain greek yogurt (I prefer Chobani)
3 tsp. granulated sugar (or sweetener of choice)
1/4 C good olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken breast in 8X8 glass baking dish. Coat both sides with Mrs. Dash and gently pour in the chicken stock. Try to avoid getting stock on top of the breasts. Cover the dish in tinfoil and place in 375° oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice goat cheese into 6-1 oz. slices, using dental floss to cut the cheese. Place slices in freezer to harden until ready to pan fry.
- Place breadcrumbs and egg substitute in shallow bowls and heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- To prepare dressing, combine vinegar, yogurt, and sugar in bowl or jar. Whisk in olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove cheese slices from freezer, and immediately dip them in egg substitute. When coated on all sides, dip in breadcrumbs. When coated on all sides, place in hot pan.
- Pan fry cheese for 1 minute on each side, using a fork or small spatula to flip the slices.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.
- Remove chicken from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Then slice.
- Place spinach in a bowl or on a plate and top with sliced chicken, warm goat cheese and yogurt vinaigrette.
What salad combos do you love? Do you have fun traditions with your friends?