In honor of this week’s complete and total meltdown, I present this–my latest diy Pinterest-inspired home decor project:
It’s a quote from one of my favorite shows on TV and is now prominently displayed in my dining room as a reminder that whenever things get a bit overwhelming or too negative, I should flip it. Do a 180 and just start being awesome, instead.
So, moving on!
Yesterday consisted of a few of my favorite things–a few hours in the (very early) morning at a work event, shopping, a little crafting and interior decorating, movie night, and, of course, a ton of cooking and baking. Check back throughout the week for some new, very tasty recipes!
Like this one:
Inspired by one of my most favorite healthy blogs, and my love of all things old fashioned/reminiscent of my childhood, I whipped up a batch of these lemon ginger cookies. They’re a moist and healthy new spin on traditional ginger snaps. I’m always a little leery of messing with substitutions for ingredients like butter and oil, but in pursuit of my dreams (losing weight and opening a health-conscious bakery and cafe), I’m giving it a shot. And thankfully (fingers crossed, knock on wood), I haven’t screwed up a recipe yet!
The original recipe called for 1 1/2 sticks of butter, so I subbed out half of the butter for unsweetened applesauce. Because of this, I also upped the amount of flour, and ended up with a fluffier cookie–almost cake-like in texture (which I didn’t mind). Next time I make these (’cause obviously there will be a next time), I may try and reduce the butter even more. I’ve tried similar recipes and only used 2 tablespoons of butter. So feel to mess around with the ratio, if you’d like (and be sure to let me know about it!)
Lemon Ginger Cookies
Yields approx. 30 cookies
3 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
3 tsp ginger, powdered
1 tsp cinnamon
6 Tbsp butter
3/4 C applesauce, unsweetened
1 C brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 C egg substitute
1/4 C molasses
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1/8 C granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon.
- In stand mixer or with hand mixer, beat butter, applesauce, brown sugar, and egg substitute until lightly whipped. Add molasses and lemon zest.
- Slowly fold in dry ingredient mixtures and mix until just combined. If dough seems slightly thin, fold in a bit more flour.
- Place balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets and sprinkle generously with the granulated sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 2 minutes, then move to cooling rack to cool completely.
Have you tried a new spin on an old classic?